BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Up and away.

I'm moving to China. It started out as a random thought, I jokingly mentioned it to my boss, then to my family and friends but it is really happening now. I have my ticket and visa so I am definitely going now. I am not sure whether I am excited or scared... but I am definitely nervous, it is all the same no? Fear and excitement... anticipation and restlessness. I don't know what to expect.

So far I've studied about China from the outside, It is definitely a different thing to actually live there, work there, make friends there and experience life there. I am going to have language courses too because I haven't written or read Chinese in almost two years. I don't have many contacts there too... panicking!

Everything is happening so quick. I have two more weeks to be here in Geneva. There is so much paper work to be done before I can go in peace. Geneva has been the good and the bad, definitely drained me of all my money but I made wonderful friends here. Most of them have moved away so I wont be missing too many people when I leave. I'm definitely looking forward to cheaper food and cheaper living in China, a welcome change from this overpriced city.



Since I started actually pursuing this China plan, I've been having this weird feeling at the pit of my stomach, some people are scaring me with their woeful tales of China, while others are enticing me with the rich experiences they had there. Who is lying? heheh...What kind of experience am I going to make there? I hope it is going to be a good one because I do love learning about Chinese language, culture and history.

Adieu Europe... or should I say Au revoir or A bientôt?

14 comments:

cosmicyoruba said...

This is so awesome! Which part of China will you be staying in? I hope you have a great experience. To be honest, you will most likely have both good and bad experiences but I guess it'll be up to you to decide how it is in the end. I hope you're not expecting utopia though. I'm also considering moving to China for a while. I'm eyeing either Qingdao or Zhuhai.

LaPenseuse said...

Hello Eccentric!

I will be in Beijing for the first couple of months because of my work but I am hoping to move to Hangzhou because it is a bit cheaper and I don't need to be physically in Beijing. It will depend though on how easy it is to move around. I hope too that I will have a good experience, it is difficult to remain clear-headed with all the things people have been telling me about their experiences there.
You are considering moving too!!! Awesome! When you do move, we should meet! (well, if you don't mind!!!) heheh :)

cosmicyoruba said...

Oh! You've got a job over there already? Or is it like an internal transfer from your job in Geneva? I'm not sure, I've heard that it is not easy to move around within Hangzhou but that the city is well connected with other cities.

I hope too that I will have a good experience, it is difficult to remain clear-headed with all the things people have been telling me about their experiences there.

Don't let them overwhelm you!

Yes I'm considering moving seeing as life after uni is really not what I thought it'd be. I've only been unemployed for a month but I'm already depressed. I'm considering doing what I did in Montepellier which is basically learning Mandarin while working and possibly living with a host family. I'm taking Mandarin classes starting April. The company I want to use to head to China works from Qingdao and Zhuhai and they look good so far. They don't charge too much.

Of course we should meet! It'll be fun!

LaPenseuse said...

I am a short-term consultant in Geneva and most of my work could be done from anywhere so I decided that instead of paying an arm and a leg to stay in Geneva, why not do the work in a place where I can improve my language skills and world view, while paying less?

I want to stop by at the Beijing office just to show my face, network (for a better contract, my current contract is quite crappy) and experience life in Beijing. I also have one or two friends there. I am actually planning on taking language courses at the same time and taking up whatever better opportunities come my way.

I had no clue that it is difficult to move around Hangzhou. hmmm... I really don't want to stay in Beijing.

That's awesome that you have a clear idea of the company you are going to use in Qingdao and Zhuhai, it definitely is more helpful to come through a company than by yourself, I am learning the hard way. I'm not even there yet and I am already experiencing difficulties, there will be no one to pick me up at the airport or help find my way around. It is quite scary. heheh.

I understand that there are going to be many bureaucratic hurdles to jump over, especially because of being African and because of the fact that my contract is a short-term contract so I cannot apply for a long-term visa at the moment.

In summary, I voluntarily stepped in shit... uncertainty and chaos but it is going to be fun! :)

cosmicyoruba said...

Omg! Your contract sounds like the one I was on before I became unemployed. Except the contract allowed me to make the decision to come spend some time in London. Now that I think about it, I should have considered China even then. Everyone keeps on telling me about the opportunities to be had over there and it'd have been much cheaper than moving to London.

I've realised that I don't have as much friends from mainland China as I thought. Like if we're talking about Japan, I know at least 10 people in Tokyo, 3 people in Osaka, 1 in Hokkaido etc. But for China, I only know one person I can rely on who lives in Beijing. My other good friend from the mainland lives in Newcastle and the other friends I have live in HK. So if I make the leap to go to China, I'll be mostly on my own.

I met a lady over the weekend who lived in Hangzhou for a year and a half. She's the person who told me that the only public transport available were buses. No trains within the city etc. Don't stay in Beijing! Spread your wings and explore China!

I found the company via my alma mater's career website. They seem legit and I like that they can help you find work. Most of their target market seem to be students though. I'm hoping that I can earn some extra cash teaching English on the side.

I hope the difficulties are not too bad. I think you're brave for choosing the path you did. Did the firm you work for help you with the visa?

I'm sure it's going to be fun!

LaPenseuse said...

My contract was being renewed at the time that I needed to get the China visa so I was told that in order for me to use my office to get visa support, I do the paper work at their office in Beijing. So I have to wait until I get to Beijing and sort out the paper work. I was given shorter visa because of that. I am quite annoyed by the little bureaucratic crap... If I was a permanent employee, things would have been different! :(
The pains of being a temporary employee! :)

cosmicyoruba said...

Bureaucracy SUCKS! I'm sure you'll be find though. And I'm pretty sure you'll find permanent employment soon too.

LaPenseuse said...

:)

Thanks, I hope so too!!!

LaPenseuse said...

Hello Ioana!!! Thanks for stopping by my little blog, I will definitely check your blog out! :-)

Gabriele Vilkonyte said...

Hello dear,
maybe you would like to follow each other's blogs with GFC or via bloglovin? or even both?

wolffashion.blogspot.com

have a nice day!
gV

Lara Rose said...

That is soo amazing! Nice blog!

LaPenseuse said...

Thanks Lana! :-)

LaPenseuse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LaPenseuse said...

Hello Gabrielle! I will definitely check your blog out! :-)