BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Red Lights!!!


This past week, I was totally broke from having to pay for little things here and there but I needed to to buy some groceries. I decided to go to France to grocery shop (I know it sounds fancy but it really isn't, the french border is only 25 minutes from where I live... hehehe)... food is way cheaper in France than in Switzerland!!! I kept bragging to my family about traveling to another country just to buy groceries... hehehe :)


Okay, so something very interesting happened this weekend. Before now, I had only heard about 'special' neighborhoods with 'special' functions (hehehe, don't worry, I will decode soon)... I was invited to hangout with some other students at an english speaking bar (the Club House, I reckon). I didn't know where the bar was so it was a little adventure. It was about 10pm and I decided to walk there since I found from google maps that it was not too long a distance. However, I got the surprise of my life when I stepped on Rue de Monthoux... Prostitutes!!! So many prostitutes!!!

It was not the idea of prostitution that was shocking, for me, it was the fact that I had never been in such a close proximity to such an environment before. They were dressed so scantily (well, surprise, surprise hehe) and there were so many men hanging around. Another thing that caught my eye was that there were also police officers all around to protect the women from violence. I thought to myself, even though the government is treating this as a business venture at least the women are protected from rapists and psychos. It is different in other countries where prostitution is a taboo topic even though it is a thriving business. Women in such countries are abused in so many violent ways and society turns away as if it is a non existent issue.

I am not saying that prostitution is right but the women who find themselves in such situations probably wouldn't be there if they had a choice. Anyways, I was too scared to walk on that road alone so I called my friends to meet me at a better location to pick me up. It was quite an interesting experience, my friends laughed and told me that this was nothing compared to some other places in Europe where prostitution is legal.

What is the moral of the story? Emmmm... that it is better to be a prostitute in Geneva than in Lagos? hahahahaha....

7 comments:

cosmicyoruba said...

interesting! it is good that there were policemen in the red light district. and i can't believe you go grocery shopping in france! maybe it's because of where i am (south-east of france) but i don't think the groceries here are cheap! and if they are i cannot begin to imagine how much groceries must cost in Switzerland.

LaPenseuse said...

Yeah, food and other basic things are a little over priced in Geneva, probably just because it is Geneva... I usually go to Ferney in France for food...

Thanks for commenting too :)

cosmicyoruba said...

how is switzerland generally? my friend and i are thinking of making a trip there sometime soon. i had to check the map after reading your blog though as i had no idea switzerland shared a border with france *super embarassed* so i guess you're in geneva

and you're welcome! please blog more often (abeg) :D

LaPenseuse said...

Hello!!!

Switzerland is awesome because it is very diverse, Geneva is an expatriate city... You should totally come and visit!... when you do, try skiing in the mountains when the ski season begins, it is awesome!!! Skiing is pretty much what everyone does because it is sunny up in the mountains when it is cold and grey below :)

I will try to blog more often, I just have periods where I am inundated by school work... If you do end up visiting, I can suggest places for you to sight see, club, shop etc... :)

cosmicyoruba said...

thanks for the advice! when does ski season begin? i'll be sure to send you an email when i make my decision. currently we are stuck between barcelona and zurich, a decision will be forthcoming. thanks for your help!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

good to know that the ladies had protection from the cops. I too believe that if most had a choice, they wouldn't opt for prostitution.

First time here, btw.

NIGERIAN CURIOSITY
IT WAS SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I ONLY HAD ONE...

LaPenseuse said...

@ eccentric the Ski season begins in December and goes until April (I think) :)
I'm also hoping to do a little 'euro tour', I just hope I can get some time off and some cash... hehe

@ solomon Hello!!! Thanks for reading and commenting! :)