
I have been sooo broke recently, it has not been funny at all. All the money I saved this past summer was drained quicker than I thought... I am not allowed to work here until February so until then I have to hang on tight. I was looking for an informal job on the side like babysitting for quite a while and then I as lucky to find a temporary stint babysitting a 6 year old kid (I'll call him 'this kid'). This kid's parent's are VIP's. I was awestruck. They get only grad students to babysit their kid (interesting, right?). They wanted someone to help him with his english and french. This was my tryout session. The kid can understand 4 languages already (german, spanish, english and french). Can you believe that??? At the age of 6??? What the heck! How many is he going to know when he is grown??? Geez. Anyway, I was trying my best to keep up with this kid the whole time, he is very brilliant but rather bratty. He asked me why I am brown, like poop... I was like Obara Jesus!!! I would have knocked the hell out of his little head if it was not for the fact that I was getting paid a very fine sum to babysit him. I sweetly smiled back at him and asked, "well, if I am brown like poop, what are you??? The smart Alec said "I look just like my father." I couldn't say anything then because if I did, he would probably tell his parents when they got back. Na wa, the things a hungry student will go through for a little pocket money! I babysat for about 4 hours (very exhausting).
We spent the time playing language games and throwing legos all over the place. I think I burned more calories running around because of this kid than when I work out at the gym. When his mother got back, I was glad it was over. She asked me if I was exhausted (well of course!). She told me she will call again if they need a tutor for him... I don't think I can do this again. I think I am better as a happy but broke student. I went back home feeling as if I just ran a freaking marathon!!! (but it was nice to have some cash in hand... hehe). I won't be going back there, if all else fails, I will call my parents and beg for money (I know, I have no shame). It just sucks to be trying to live independently but having so many stinking bills to pay that independence remains a distant dream.
Speaking of languages, I thought I was good... it turns out not so much... (Well, to me, I am awesomely wonderful... haha). I go to a school that is so international, over 100 countries are represented. Almost everyone speaks a minimum of 5 languages (yes 5)... and not just "je m'appelle" levels oh, they are fluent in all. I have a very good friend who speaks 7. How in the hell can people be so awesome? I am going to work hard and speak 50... just wait and see! hehehehe
I Know Your Name 我知道你的名字
4 years ago


7 comments:
i'm broke too! but i'm not ashamed to ask my mum for money though. maybe it's cause i'm an only child.
the babysitting job sounds like hell.
what are you studying in Geneva? and how long have you been in Geneva? and what languages do you speak.
so where were you before Geneva? if you don't mind me asking. i kind of assumed you were born in Switzerland to be honest. haha i speak English and French too. and the list includes Japanese, Yoruba and a little bit of Hausa.
Hello!!!
Sorry, I deleted my other comment because I had some typos hehe... I was in born in Nigeria, in Lagos, but have lived elsewhere for a long while... in NY, then Quebec and then Geneva (this year) :)
I am studying International Law here... I speak English (hehe), French, Urhobo, some Chinese and some Spanish... It is so cool that you speak Japanese!!! :)
Was it difficult to learn???
yeah i was wondering were your comment disappeared to. lol, it's okay to make typos! you know i did not even notice them! oh i'm so jealous of you! you've lived in NY!!! and i think it's so cool that you speak Chinese! Japanese is so not difficult to learn. it's quite easy to understand and grasp but difficulty comes in speaking and reading kanji. i started as an anime freak then decided to take classes. i wish i'd chosen Chinese though...
hehe... I am very self conscious about making errors in my English speaking... My chinese is at intermediate level now, I still find it very difficult to read things like news in chinese... sigh... but it is never too late to learn Chinese! I am pretty sure you will not have difficulty in picking it up because you have the interest and you are familiar with the sentence structures, etc :)
I am seriously trying to practice French and Spanish to add to the English I already know. All those years of French classes isn't doing me any good if I don't practice. But then again, I'm surrounding by folks who only speak English.
Why am I just finding your blog again?
Tu peut parler fracaise avec moi :)
It is never to let to learn, that's what I think. I was told by my cantonese friend that it was too late to really learn chinese but I have been set on proving her wrong! hehehe
Post a Comment