I love my parents but they can both be a pain in the neck sometimes. So I finished my dissertation and got my Masters Diplome (excuse me while I dougie in the street...hehehe)It's been the reason that I was away from my blog for ages! Anyway, what was I saying before...yes, I have finished with the school (well, for now) and I also switched from my former office. I am still in Geneva but working for a different organisation... that is a story for another day...why do I keep side-tracking my story?
This post is about my parents meddling in my affairs just because they think I'm ready to "settle". I am so pissed as I write this post because of this whole thing. I got a call the other day from some random dude who was telling me that he got my number from his father, who got my number from my father. I was like WTFLUMK??? It turns out he wants to get to know me, and asked me to send him photos of myself and to add him on skype so that we can "discuss".
I was like, biznatch, first of all, why are you collecting phone numbers from you father at the age of 23, is that not too young to be asking your father to arrange someone for you??? Secondly, I freaking live on another continent, what the heck do you think is going to come out of all this, aren't there people to date on your side of the world? Thirdly, I am NOT sending you my pictures or adding you on the skype, I don't know who the flip you are! Fourthly, who told you I would be interested in the first place. Finally, we are in our very early twenties, what in the world is the rush? 
Men, I was pissed. This weirdo had the audacity to keep calling me and sending me text messages the entire week and when I didn't respond, he got his father to call and text me, asking why I have not been taking his son's phone call. WHAT THE HELL??? I blame this on my parents, who did not think to ask me before throwing my number to random people, just because they are "friends" with them. I blame myself for always being the compliant child who does everything they say. If I was the stubborn child who listened to no one, they wouldn't be doing this kind of stuff (they haven't pulled this stunt with my other siblings and I am one of the youngest!).
Am I over-dramatizing the whole thing? Is this normal or am I the only one who thinks this whole thing is crap? I just wish they would all let me be!!!
I Know Your Name 我知道你的名字
4 years ago

4 comments:
No you are in no way over reacting! I am so glad my mother does not meddle in my personal affairs especially when it comes to relationships. On the other hand, I have several aunties, and friends too, who give my number out to strange men. It seems to be a Nigerian thing, as in they do not see anything wrong with a little matchmaking.
When I railed on and told my friends NEVER to give my number to strangers without my express permission, they thought I was strange and a drama queen. At least, they respected my wishes. Still I cannot count the number of times I have picked up my phone only to hear 'You don't know me but I like you...don't worry about how I got your number' or some other variation. Argh.
It is good to hear that I am not over-reacting. I worry that it might seem rude that I am not answering the calls from both father and son but I feel like taking their calls would just extend things. This is the first time something like this has happened to me, I have been very shocked and irritated, hence the long rant.
I thought it was weird but now hearing from you, it seems it is common. LOL at "don't worry about how I got your number"... it is so creepy! I just don't understand how people can torment so much someone they have never met!
Congrats on your Masters Diploma! What a great achievement. :)
I am sure your parents only mean well, try to make them understand your viewpoint and perhaps they will come round.
xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag
Thanks Cat Hag! :)
Yeah, it is true that they mean well! I am hoping to have a talk with them...soon...it is going to be awkward, I am not looking forward to it...hehehehe... hopefully, it will not be too hard to convince them to let me handle that aspect of my life by myself! :P
Post a Comment